SJ7 Star - FAQ

Discussion in 'CAMERA Models' FAQ' started by sjcam_admin, Mar 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sjcam_admin

sjcam_admin Administrator Staff Member

How do I pair my SJ Remote with the SJ7 Star?
    To pair your remote to your LEGEND: Swipe down from the top > Select Remote Control choose “Remote Control Pairing”. A picture instruction will appear . Press the Video and the Photo buttons on the Remote simultaneously. “Pairing Completion ID” will show.

Why doesn’t my SJ7 Star power on when I press the power button? A blue LED only lights up momentarily and nothing else happens.
    This is to keep your camera from turning on if it the button is accidentally pressed. You need to press and hold the power button for 3 seconds, the SJCAM logo will appear on screen.

How do I change Modes on my SJ7?
    You can do this either by swiping up from the bottom of the screen and choose which Mode you want to enter, scroll up to see more Mode options.

What charger should I use to charge my SJ7 Star?
    Any microUSB wall charger will do. A charger with a current output of anything from 300mA (three-hundred milli-Amperes) to 1A (one Ampere) is recommended. Anything above 2A might charge the battery too fast and may dramatically shorten its life.
    You may also use the USB ports of your computer.

Why can I not play video on my computer or mobile phone?
    Either your player does not have the right CODEC (compressor/decompressor), or your device is not powerful enough to run the video.

Why is my video choppy when played on my computer or phone?
    It can either be 1 of 2 things:
    1. Your computer/device may not have the minimum required specifications to play the videos back; or,
    2. You are playing the file from another source and the data transmission cannot keep up with the video being played. Example: High resolution 2K or 4K file is played on computer, but the source file is in the camera.

What does that blinking hand symbol on my main screen mean and what does it do?
    The blinking hand symbol means that your Gyro Stabilizer is on. It works by analyzing movements of your camera and compensates to keep the video less shaky.

How long do I need to charge the battery of my SJ7 Star?
    For most chargers it is usually about 3 hours, but it depends on what charger you use. A PC USB port may charge it slower but keeps your battery safe from charging too fast.

Why doesn't my battery last that long when in colder weather?
    Lithium batteries have a hard time charging in close to zero or sub-zero temperatures, resulting in shorter operating time.
    Your battery's charging behavior will return to normal once it is returned to room temperature.

My recording starts and stops, all my recordings are really short. What’s happening?
    This can be caused by several things:
    1. You have loop recording on. Loop recording is usually used when the camera is used as a dashcam for long recordings, to keep the files manageable, making the video file stop at set durations, then continue on automatically without user interference.
    2. You have a bad card. Either the card is having problems or you have an incompatible memory card.
    3. You have a fake size/speed card. You can test if your card has the correct specs on the label by downloading a free software called H2testw. Any discrepancy you see on the software and the label is suspicious.

Why can't I play videos on my computer or mobile phone?
    Either your player does not have the right CODEC (compressor/decompressor), or your device is not powerful enough to handle the video.

Why is my video choppy when played on my computer or phone?
    It can either be 1 of 2 things:
    1. Your computer/device may not have the minimum required specifications to play the videos back; or,
    2. You are playing the file from another source and the data transmission cannot keep up with the video being played. Example: High resolution 2K or 4K file is played on computer, but the source file is in the camera, connected by a USB cable.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  2. Michi

Michi New Member

Hello,
    fit the batteries of the sj6 legend in the sj7 star?
    Which 128 gb memory card is compatible with the sj7 star?
    Many Thanks

Michi

3. Peter Watkins

Peter Watkins New Member

Michi

No, the batteries for the SJ6 and SJ7 are different. The terminals are on the opposite sides so they cannot fit. SJ7 batteries are now available from quite a few suppliers on AliExpress and some other websites. Unfortunately, as with all Li-Ion batteries, you need to find a supplier that will ship to your country. Because of "fire risk" the regulations are very unclear.

If you want to record on the SJ7 at the maximum data rates - 4K at 25/30fps and SF Quality, 2.5K at 50/60fps or 1080p at 100/120fps then you need a card with very fast WRITE rates. Normally manufacturers quote READ rates which are faster but not important. Write rate should be at least 80 MB/s so card must be at least U3 and V30 standards. I use a SanDisk Extreme Plus 128 GB on my SJ7 Star. This has 90 MB/s Write speed and 95 MB/s Read speed, which works fine at fastest record bitrates. Never had a hang-up. Other main manufacturers cards with similar specs should also be OK. Don't use cheap generic cards which may be totally unreliable and only buy from good suppliers - there are loads of fakes around. If it's cheap compared to other suppliers, my advice is avoid!

Michi likes this.
  4. Thall

Thall New Member

Hi, I have a question about my SJ7. It only works with the official external microphone? I have an usb-jack adaptor and a profesional external mic I use on my reflex cam and doesn't work on the sj7. I try to plug it while the camera is ON or OFF and doesn't recognize anything. I think that the problem would be the usb-jack adapter if the sj7 recognize other microphones.

Dagger likes this.
  5. Jodi

Jodi New Member

I have some questions regarding purchasing this camera as it compares to the Go Pro Hero5:

1) I was comparing it to the GoPro HERO5 Black Ultra HD Action Camera ‑ 4K. All the features appear to be the same, except for voice control. Does the SJCAM SJ7 Star have a voice command/voice control feature?

2) Is this camera compatible vs. Go pro accessories? - ie. selfie stick

3) is there a slot for memory card expansion?

Thank you,

6. Troy

Troy Administrator

Hi @Jodi,
    1) No it doesn't have a voice command/control feature. Perhaps in the future, but I doubt that.
    2) Yes, almost of all them are compatible. Obviously not the remote and batteries though.
    3) Yes, you need a memory card to record on to and the slot on its side is where you put it in.
    :)

7. Troy

Troy Administrator

Hi @Thall,
    I personally haven't tried it yet, but it may be possible to do so. Let's just wait until someone gives it a try, should be fairly easy to match the pinouts if someone needs to DIY it. :)

8. Rob Limbo

Rob Limbo New Member

Hi Thall, I had the same question. I am very impressed with the audio from the internal mic but would like to use my Edutige external mics. None of them works which is a bummer because the video quality is really good. For me this Sjcam 7 with a small external Edutige mic would be a perfect combination for me. I do hope SJCAM will make it possible in future firmware updates.

9. Silent_alarm

Silent_alarm New Member

Hi

Could you supply the USB pinout on the camera (Especially for the external mic)? The reason i bought the SJ7 is the external mic and i'd really like to get 3,5mm Stereo mic, even if it's DIY thing at the moment to get the external mic working in Stereo mode.

Troy and Rob Limbo like this.
  10. Rob Limbo

Rob Limbo New Member

QTroy,

I hope you are able to do this. I very much would like to connect my mics but I am not such a good diy to know I need to do.
    Lots of success!!

Troy likes this.
  11. shootingforfun

shootingforfun New Member

Hey guys!

Just put this post in another post but thought to write here as this on subject recently.

I have just ordered a SJ7. I am excited.

Sound is super important and from what I hear and you guys say the only microphones that work and the SJ branded ones. Is this true? Anyone with experience with this? I want to use https://www.amazon.com/EACHSHOT-Directional-Microphone-Smartphone-Livestream/dp/B01N9O7KWY

I have an adapter to plug the the 3.5mm jack onto the mini usb but no idea if this will work. I have my fingers crossed.

Maybe a firmware update is in order if it doesn't work.

Let me know your guys experiences!

Cheers!

12. Rob Limbo

Rob Limbo New Member

I have just ordered a SJ7. I am excited.

Sound is super important and from what I hear and you guys say the only microphones that work and the SJ branded ones. Is this true? Anyone with experience with this? I want to use https://www.amazon.com/EACHSHOT-Directional-Microphone-Smartphone-Livestream/dp/B01N9O7KWY

I have an adapter to plug the the 3.5mm jack onto the mini usb but no idea if this will work. I have my fingers crossed.

Maybe a firmware update is in order if it doesn't work.

Let me know your guys experiences!

@shootingforfun,
    Many SJ7 Star-owner have their USB-adapter and different brands of microphones. I have 3 different Edutige microphones and none of them works. Other owners have the same experience. The suggestion of upgrading the firmware was posted before and we hope with future updates we will be able to connect our microphones. Let us know if it works for you!

Have a great day.

13. shootingforfun

@Rob Limbo Thanks mate. Yeah - to me it is the perfect camera - but this issue is almost a deal breaker. So I really hope it they read these posts and do something about it asap. Fingers crossed.

14. Rob Limbo

Rob Limbo New Member

@shootingforfun,
    I have another actioncam (Git2) which is very good and my mics work perfect on it. The SJ7 Star has superior video quality. When it was available the add mentioned the availability of connecting an external mic. So that really made me decide to buy one. I don't regret buying it because the quality really is great as well as the audio from the internal mic. But when in windy conditions the wind-noise is bad. With my Git2 I had the same problem but that was solved by using my external mic with quality cover so the wind-noise was greatly reduced. I hoped for the same feature with the SJ7 Star. So that really was a bummer when none of my mic works. I mentioned this with a ticket to SJCAM and asked them to make it possible to connect an external mic (perhaps needs a special adapter develloped by SJCAM) or new firmware to make it possible and/or a wind-noise cancelling filter in the firmware.
    So we will see what SJCAM will do. Still all the adds mention the possibility of connecting an external mic which is somewhat misleading because the only external mic working is their own.

15. shootingforfun

@Rob Limbo Yeah - I sent them a ticket too. It seems like a no brainer to me for them to make the change. Fingers crossed they listen to us. If not - I may have to make the move elsewhere like to the git2 @sjcam_admin @SJCAM_Support

16. shootingforfun

@Rob Limbo Hey Rob, I am going to get the Git2 Pro as well. I was hoping you could answer my question. It seems there are 2 versions. One with a 90 degree lens and one with a 170 degree lens. Which do you have? What do you suggest?

Here is the information I found http://elproducente.com/gitup-git2-git2p-review-manual/

Here are the 2 versions:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Git...lgo_pvid=7f92831e-1fe8-458a-a641-c8f71cbce426

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Git...lgo_pvid=c41f1b2f-6687-4e3c-a558-cb074c6146f7

Here is video samples

In the first video he seems to switch between 170 - 90 - Maybe the new version enable you to be be able to switch between the 2 options?

But as I understand it there are 2 versions a 90 and a 170. Can you sheer any light on to it and what you camera can do?

Cheers!

17. shootingforfun

@Rob Limbo I opted for the git2 pro 90 degrees. I think this in conjunction with the sj7 is the perfect set up :)

Still just want @sjcam_admin @SJCAM_Support to update there firmware to support non branded microphones - that will make the SJ7 the perfect camera :)

18. Silent_alarm

Silent_alarm New Member

And i want that pin-out of the USB Mic. Well actually i might have the pin-out kinda figured out as there are some FPV (Drone) AV cables for sale with flying leads and thus they have provided the pinout with them for AV use but i cannot guarantee as these are only speculations of my own. Actually i could buy one mic and probably tear it apart to see how many wires it has and what pins are connected. I doubt the factory would use 4 line wire for the mic that requires only two so it should be a easy task to perform?

I just really want to see a stereo mic connectivity, but even a external mono mic would rock the world at this point.

sjcam_admin likes this.
  19. Troy

Troy Administrator

Here's a visual guide to the availability of FOV, Slow Motion, Auto Low Light, and Gyro Sensor for each Resolution option.
    Hope you guys find this useful.
    NOTE: SJ7 STAR Firmware ver1.15 only.

upload_2017-6-20_14-25-45.png

20. Eric5150

Eric5150 New Member

Let me know how this goes as I'm thinking about doing the same to hookup a Saramonic G-Mic stereo that is made for a GoPro 3 or GoPro 4. It is mini usb in (not 1/8") and I thought about tearing the SJCAM mic up to see what's connected where.

If you do it, try to get pictures and maybe even make a video to mod the external mic.

Thanks
    Eric