SJ7 Star Firmware Update Newest Version

Discussion in 'SJ7 STAR Firmware' started by sjcam_admin, Mar 11, 2017.

1. sjcam_admin

sjcam_admin Administrator Staff Member

SJ7 Star Firmware Update Newest Version

Follow these steps to install the new firmware v1.13:
    1. Extract the memory card form your camera.
    2. Format the memory card to FAT32 in your computer. NOTE: If the card is nor formatted to FAT32 the update may not happen.
    3. Copy the firmware file in your card. You can download the new firmware from HERE.
    4. Insert the card into the camera and connect the card into a power supply. If you battery is fully charged, you don't need to connect it to a power supply.
    5. Turn on the camera, go to settings and select Version. The camera will ask you if you want to update the firmware.
    6. Accept and wait until the process finishes.
    7. Turn the camera on again.

Should you have any questions regarding the firmware update, please submit a ticket or email us at support@sjcamhd.com

SJ7 Star Firmware Update Download Link (Version 1.13)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  2. evoixmr

evoixmr New Member

On the CAR DV, instead of "Off, On", can it be "Off, 1 min, 2min, 3 min, 5 min"?

3. Troy

Troy Administrator

Hi @evoixmr, you can add this to the firmware wishlist section, here.

4. evoixmr

evoixmr New Member

Just added. Thanks.

5. Peter Watkins

Peter Watkins New Member

Why is this thread not kept up-to-date? The latest Upload (still today 29/03/2017) is v1.0.6 posted here on 7/3/2017.

Since the release of v1.0.6 there has been v1.0.7 (limited release) - v1.0.8 (major new feature addition of variable Field Of View) and now I see SJ7 cameras are already being shipped with v1.0.9 installed ( includes in-camera Slow Motion Video from 60/120/240 fps down to 30, maybe also improvements in low-light video recording). The only way to find these official releases is from third-party sites. Surely the same day as a beta-test release the software should be made available in this and the other "Official SJCAM Support Forum". Takes whoever is running the Forum a few minutes to change the release number and the download file it points to and make the post. It would also be nice to have a small Change Log with what new features and bug fixes are included.

BTW it would also be very good to label the firmware file with the version number and/or release date. At the moment they are all labelled SJ7_FWUPDATE.bin - really confusing.

6. evoixmr

evoixmr New Member

The latest beta firmware is on this website, under forum sj7-native-4k-beta-firmware-testers-area. The reason it's not posted here is because it's not a official release more like a test firmware. They want to make sure there's no issue before releasing to general public. The beta firmware are also properly labeled on the folder, not confusing at all.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  7. Peter Watkins

Peter Watkins New Member

evoixmr - This is what I don't understand at all. As I have already posted in this Forum with not a single reply -

"What is this Forum?". - "For longer than a year SJCAM have had a very active User Forum on "support.sjcamhd.com/support/discussions"
    This is labelled Community Forums > Sjcam Official Forum (English). It is active and taking posts and has many hundreds of threads and some thousands of individual posts on all subjects to do with all Sjcam Models. It also provides links to firmware and documentation and Support Ticket monitoring. I have recently been a pretty active member of this Official Forum. Suddenly this totally separate Forum appears which also calls itself "Sjcam Official Community Forum"!! There is no cross reference between these Forums. I need to create a totally separate Login to post in both. Both forums seem to be active - but independent."

You Talk about a "Testers Area". You may or may not be aware that well over a month ago the SJCAM Support Team set up the "SJ7Official Thread" in the "Other" Official Forum. As they said at the time - "This is the official thread for the SJ7, please post here you comments and ideas." The first thing they posted was announcing the latest beta-test firmware v1.0.3 and requesting "Those who want to check it, please send a message to support@sjcamhd.com". This allowed people to sign up as testers. You seem to be talking about a totally different support group and set of firmware testers? I signed up to be part of this group. I was sent v1.0.4, v1.0.6 and v1.0.8 and have posted feedback in the "SJ7 Official Thread" - there are currently 111 posts in this thread.. I was not sent v1.0.9 but there was a third party link to this in the SJ7 Official Thread.

So could SJCAM please sort out this confusion. Which is the "Official Forum"? Who are the "Firmware Testers"? Could they consolidate both forums and move all the existing posts from both forums into one single forum - whichever they choose!

UPDATE - I now see in this thread, the Original Top post has just changed today. Without any change of date or notification in either of the two Forums - it doesn't even appear under. I see that the post from March 7th has been changed and references v1.0.9. I assume that the Mega File ir links to has changed. But unlike your post talks about, this still is called SJ7 FWUPDATE.bin! Is this v1.0.9? who knows. If it is is it the same version that was posted a week or so ago - or are there changes. I will download and see. Fortunately I have copies, correctly labelled, of all the beta- test versions made available to date so can switch back.

UPDATE 2 - Finally an answer from an SJCAM Admin to my old post in Blogs on here about the Forum Confusion - 2 minutes ago. Go read it

Finally someone has started to read the posts!

8. Louis Peek

Louis Peek New Member

Hey Pete, get a life.

9. Peter Watkins

Peter Watkins New Member

Hey Lou, I've already got a Great One.
    Cheers!

10. Thall

Thall New Member

Link doesn't work

11. Peter Watkins

Peter Watkins New Member

For those looking for the latest firmware for the SJ7 Star this site is currently out of date. Link to V1.0.9 firmware and, as Thall says, the link is anyway "no longer available"!

V1.13 (4 versions on!) is available on the "Other" Sjcam Official Forum at - support.sjcamhd.com/support/solutions

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  12. sjcam_admin

sjcam_admin Administrator Staff Member

Thanks @Peter Watkins for the nudge.
    I have updated the original post to reflect firmware version 1.13
    BTW, yes, support.sjcamhd.com is our official support site for technical assistance. :)